Let’s get together and help Sarah Palin out, shall we? We all went to high school, learned a little bit of American History…let’s put our heads together and think of some landmark cases off the top of our heads that might have had some impact in how we work things in the good ole’ US of A. I’m an attorney by trade, so I guess it’s unfair, but I’m not running for VP, so I guess Palin and I are even. I’ll go off the top of my head, you fill in the blanks that I forget with posted comments.
- Marbury v. Madison – kinda decided for us what the power of the judicial branch of government was. The first landmark case of many led by the Marshall court.
- McCulloch v. Maryland – oh the whole state reserved powers v. federal enumerated powers thing
- Dred Scott v. I forget – slaves ain’t citizens and Congress can’t tell the states to free the slaves. Abe Lincoln isn’t happy with the decision
- Plessy v. Ferguson – Separate but equal.
- Brown v. Board of Education – Separate but equal overturned. Just equal….kinda.
- Gideon v. Wainwright – if you cannot afford counsel, one will be appointed for you without cost
- Miranda v. I forget – it’s only appropriate that Miranda followed Gideon – when cops arrest people, they gotta read them their rights; if cops perform an improper arrest, any information that they find out during the time the arrest is improper cannot be used in court against the accused
- Roe v. Wade – ok she knew that one…I wonder if she could really articulate the findings of the Court though.
- US v. Nixon – no Executive Privilege unless it’s a matter of national security
- Regents v. I forget – Affirmative Action defined
- Texas v. Johnson – flag burning case
I’m at a loss for any landmark cases over the past 20 years. But invite Gov. Palin to visit the blog and learn some U.S. history. It’s kinda important if she ever is in the position to, ya know, appoint PERMANENT members to the Supreme Court.
For cryin’ out loud people, can you just please stop the madness and send this woman and her “boss” packin’ on November 4? Thanks in advance.